Our Annual Meeting will be Sunday, January 22, after our 10 a.m. Eucharist. Elections will be held for one Bishop’s Committee Member. Nominations will be received from the floor.
To be eligible to sit on the Bishop’s Committee one must be an adult communicant member of St. Michael’s in good standing. Bishop’s Committee members serve a three- year term.
Meetings. The BC meets monthly generally on the Fourth Sunday of the Month. January’s meeting will be on January 29 and February’s meeting will be on February 19.
1. Fiscal Responsibility. The Bishop’s Committee provides financial oversight for the church, preparing an annual budget and filing a corporate report yearly. Bishop’s Committee members raise money for the church, pay salaries and bills and take care of all assets held by the church. Assets the church may have include endowments and trust funds. The Bishop’s Committee approves or recommends any salary increases and denies or approves any expenditures.
2. Property Management. Property management is another duty of the Bishop’s Committee; responsibilities include maintaining buildings, furnishings, and the surrounding property. If upgrades need to be made to physical property, the Bishop’s Committee decides what changes can be made and allocates funds to these changes. Property management includes the entire campus including the parking lot and solar array; all should be free of any hazards. The Bishop’s Committee also holds the duty of making sure that all property is insured.
3. Priest-in-Charge Assistance. The Priest-in-Charge doesn’t have time to handle oversight of the church alone. The Bishop’s Committee acts in partnership with the Priest-in-Charge. All work collectively and provide guidance to the Priest-in-Charge as needed.
4. Parishioner Recruitment and Enrichment. As a group of elected individuals, the Bishop’s Committee must seek ways to form community among parishioners. A Bishop’s Committee defines its own mission, goals, and values, depending on the variety of backgrounds among the Bishop’s Committee members. Celebrations, picnics, outings, and other events are organized and carried out by the bishop’s committee to build community within the church.
5. Community Outreach. Community outreach is vital to the spiritual growth of members in a parish; it may include raising money for a good cause, providing meals to homeless individuals, or cleaning up a local park. The Bishop’s Committee oversees any outreach efforts by members of the parish.
Leave a Reply.
St. Michael's Episcopal Church News Items
News for St. Michael's and the Episcopal Diocese of San Joaquin
Sign up for our newsletter
P.O. Box 1630
Ridgecrest, CA 93556
200 W Drummond Ave
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
Tuesday - Friday
10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
© 2023 St. Michael's Episcopal Church